Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /var/www/bukeana/data/www/bukeana.info/wp-content/plugins/workbox-video-from-vimeo-youtube-plugin/workbox_video.php on line 213
Chernivtsi Yuri Fedkovych National University founded October 4, 1875. It has undergone a complicated development ton become one of the leading centers of science, research and education in the state.
The university was named after Franz Josef I, Emperor of Austro-Hungary (Bucovyna was then a part of it) and the language of instruction was German. Originally there were three colleges: Orthodox Theology, Law and State, and Philosophy.
The 50s of XX c. brought some colleges and University administration into buildings of the former Bucovynian Metropolitan’s residence, a unique architectural ensemble. The University attained the name of Sanctuary of Science not only in the metaphoric meaning but also in the literal one.
The University students and faculty did much to advance the revival of Ukrainian Sovereignty in the 80s and 90s of XX c. The April of 1989 brought the name of Yuri Fedkovych, a writer and enlightener, to the University. November 3, 1990 saw the Ukrainian national banner fluttering on the top of the University Administration.
At present time there are sixteen colleges enrolling about seventeen thousand students (full-time, part-time and external) in the Bachelor, Specialist and Master degree programs in 70 majors. The University faculty – 900 academics – constitutes 100 professors and over 500 candidates of sciences (PhDs), and associate professors. The University is accredited with the highest 4th category. Students can have military training at the Department of Military Studies. There are 8 specialized Scientific Boards conferring the Candidate degree (PhD) and Doctorate degree (DSc). The university is a full member of the International Association of Universities “Phi Beta Delta” (the USA).
The University supports various partnership relations with many foreign universities and institutions, hosts international science symposia and conferences in different areas of science and education and participates in multilateral research projects.
Given the high academic and scientific achievements during the 125th anniversary Chernivtsi University was awarded national status by the Decree of the President of Ukraine, September 11, 2000.
History of the University
Chernivtsi National University was founded on October 4, 1875 by decree Franz Josef, Emperor of Austro-Hungary.
In the beginning there were colleges of theology, philosophy and law. K.Tomashchuk, a renowned scientist and public figure, became the first rector of the University. The scientists of European and world fame taught and conducted their research at the University: economist J.Schumpeter, lawyer G.Gross, historian R.Kaindl, Slavic scholars O.Kaluzhnatskyi and S. Smal’-Stots’kyi and composer and writer S.Vorobkevych, among others.
After the dissolution of the Austro-Hungarian Empire in 1918 and annexation of Northern Bukovina by the Romanian kingdom, until 1940 the university was one of the Romanian higher educational institutions.
In 1940, after the reunification of Northern Bukovina with Ukraine, the University was reorganized into a state higher educational institution with the instruction in Ukrainian. In 1989 Chernivtsi National University was named after Yuriy Fedkovych, the well-known writer of Bukovina, herald of Ukrainian national Renaissance.
Today in the university there are 16 colleges: physics, engineering, applied mathematics, chemistry, biology, philology, foreign languages, history, geography, economics, pedagogy, law, and philosophy and theology, 71 departments, 16 thousand students majoring in 67 areas. Academic and research work is provided by over 900 professors (100 DScs, associate professors, about 500 PhDs), and 6 Specialized Scientific Boards on candidate and doctoral dissertations defence. Basic areas of scientific research are theoretical and applied semiconductors material study; development of new materials technologies, micro-circuits and devices for optical, radio, and microelectronics, semiconducting instrument-making; static optics, holography; technologies of module teaching; ecology, geography; History of Ukraine, linguistics and literary studies. The University is known for its 5 scientific schools. The Science-research Bukovina Study Center is affiliated with the University, which maintains relations with other centers of Diaspora.
The University together with other institutions in Ukraine founded “Bible and Culture” research center which studies the fundamental problems of humanities and social sciences.
Chernivtsi National University has 14 buildings, the Botanical Gardens, Zoological and Earth Science/Topography Museums, Publishing House, and Library with over 2.5 million books. There is the Department of Military Studies.
The faculty and the students of the University participate in various exchange programs in the USA, Austria, Germany, Poland, Romania, China, Yugoslavia, and Israel and other countries of the world.
In October, 1999 Chernivtsi National University became the member of the International Universities Organization “Phi Beta Delta” (USA).
By the President’s Decree the title of “National University” was awarded to Yuriy Fedkovych Chernivtsi State University on September 11, 2000.
|Georgian Technical University
Kutaisi University Alumni
|Alecu Russo Balti State University|